Thursday 9 March 2017

Fluff

I had to record a bass line for a song last night. Firstly I had to rewrite it a tone down. From almost the third note, I noticed how my transposition skills had dwindled....I blame the acidentals. I also noticed...that although a simple piece...as soon as the recording button lit up...I became all fingers and thumbs...not good when playing guitar. But thinking back to my recording days in the army and onwards...certain bands freeze as soon as a microphone is shoved in front of them. You can smell the fear.   But why the nerves? No one wants to fail. I could guarantee, that during a solo, if I knew a top note was approaching and depending on my confidence that day...I would convince myself that I would miss it. Invariably I would. That can happen in most things in life. All it is, is the fear of failure, of letting your fellow musicians down.. not the audience...to be honest...I have always played for the musos in the band. Mutual respect and all that . It can become a vicious circle though. Fearing that one thing. Invariably it will go wrong if that top c is meandering it's happy way towards you, behind all the safe notes. The secret is...not to care. I don't think I will ever master that.

No comments:

Post a Comment