Tuesday 7 February 2017

Five go to prison

From my childhood, I have watched the world change in many ways. I fear I have not travelled so well with it? At what point, does the innocence of youth change and become scarred with others ideals? As a young boy, I used to run home from school. Make a massive jam sandwich and rush to my bedroom to dive head first into another adventure of Enid Blytons..The Famous Five. I would live every word and become the 6th member of the cousins. They would never see me. But I lived every second. Tasted every drop of lemonade and sandwich from their picnic. The other night, I finished a rather good ghost story. It was by a children's writer who had branched out into more adult literature. However it still had that tinge of childish adventure. Having finished the book, I wondered what I could read next. Looking through my extensive bookcase of SAS adventure, mountaineering disasters and Victorian hangman stories, I came upon an old famous five book. Laying in bed, I was once again whisked backed to my childhood and escapism that knew no bounds. But as I got further into the books that were so innocent when I was a child...I started to feel more uneasy? Why? Well, there were a few passages in the book, that were not, so called politically correct. I reprint one of the passages below. Innocent writing, that never caused a second glance in the innocence of my youth. What has time and sexual equality done to me? I feel sad.


No comments:

Post a Comment