Tuesday 14 February 2017

Snooker

I lost my mum, when I was only 20 years old. I was summoned to the Sergeant Majors office one morning. As I stood to attention at his desk, he was speaking on the phone to someone about a trivial matter. I stood for a few minutes, wondering what on earth I had done wrong. Finally he put the phone down and told me that my mum had died. It was matter of fact to him I think. To be fair, the wheels of the Army admin section, swung into action and rail and travel warrants were issued within the hour. I just had time to pack a bag and get together my dress uniform, which I know my dad would want me to wear at my mum's funeral. With typical Miltary stiff upper lip, I never cried at the funeral. That is, until someone came up and hugged me. I then broke. There is nothing quite like a hug and if the world did it more, then we would live on a much more loving planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment